Followers

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Helping doesn't always help!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome day!! The day has been absoloutely wonderful weather wise and we all have life, and that is a blessing itself. Today i set out on my early morning run for the weekend. I really love the weekend runs because i don't have to worry about hurrying through it to get to work. I can just do my thing and chill and stay out there as long as i want!! It's great!! Everybody should have an outlet and running is mine. Anyway, i think i mentioned about my son getting a new gig in an earlier post and how he has been dealing with some challenges. I think for the first time since he turned 18 i feel a little helpless to help him. I have to preface this by saying i have a really good kid. He's a lot like me when i was his age and that's good..lol. But some of it is not as "take charge" as i would like it to be. I told him today that when your young and working a job, a lot of times people will want to try you. Hell! People like to try you when you're an adult!
The more i ran, and thought about him and his job challenges, the more i got mad and wanted to HANDLE it myself!!! I mean i can tolerate many things...but when you mess with my kids im a different man! Sooo after i got back from my run i was all ready to go down to the job with him and get some things strait!!! Then i realised that he's not a baby anymore and he wants to be his own man..Wow! He really didn't want me to go but i was ready!! I mean, dude!! You're my son man! I hate to see people take advantage of you because you're young! I've been on that end and it aint fun!
Nevertheless i gave him some direction and advice on it and i'm trying to let him handle it.UUGGHH!! What do you do when helping doesn't always help???? It's a hard situation for a parent. I mean you want to come to their rescue like their 5 again!..lol! Got a problem man? Im on it! But the boy is growing up and i gotta let him grow. In life i think we all have to realise that some of the best medicine for some people we love is not to help at all! Especially if they are prone to get in your pockets!..Ohh yeah...you know the type! LOL! Those are the ones you hide from when your pushing your cart through WalMart and you conveniently duck down isle 7...HAHAHA! Anyway, all im saying is the hardest but most healthy thing for me to do as a parent is to let my kids live their life in such a way that im there as a father and a coach. My oldest and i have a relationship that's changing as he gets older. Im still his father with his back at all times, but im working hard as a coach to make sure he doesnt zig when he should've zagged. Feel me? You do the same with the people in your life. And yeah, you know who they are. Because sometimes helping doesn't always help. Be there but don't get in it! Sodas down!!!Water up!!! Peace and Love!

1 comment:

  1. It is not an easy thing being a parent. It is the only time in your life that you will spend all of your resources, time and substance to protect, mold and build up something that you have to give away. It is heart wrenching. I think you would agree that while we have to give our children the space and latitude to fall on occasion so that they can learn how to get back up again, we never let them fail. They may have difficulty but they will never be dumped - no matter what they do and we are always ready with a hand and a word and love.

    ReplyDelete